Enjoy leading an active & healthy lifestyle!
Making activity a regular part of your day and consuming healthy food choices has lots of benefits for you and our community. Lethbridge has so much to offer!
The Active Lethbridge website provides residents of Lethbridge and area with a variety of resources and information on local opportunities for active living.
Being active has many benefits both for you as an individual or family and as a community. We invite you to take the active & healthy lifestyle journey with us.
Health Benefits of Physical Activity
Physically active lifestyles have been linked to a decreased likelihood of health problems, including type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, colon cancer, obesity and osteoporosis1. Benefits of physical activity include:
- Better health;
- Improved fitness;
- Better posture and balance;
- Better self-esteem;
- Weight control;
- Stronger muscles and bones;
- Feeling more energetic;
- Relaxation and reduced stress;
- Continued independence in life;
- Lower risk of chronic disease;
- Improved sleeping habits.
- Improves memory, concentration and academic performance.
- Improves quality of life; and
Benefits of Being Active in Nature
The City of Lethbridge maintains over 140 parks and natural areas, providing you with a variety of recreational options to meet your needs. Parks in Lethbridge contribute to our physical health and have have many social & community benefits:
- Exposure to green spaces may reduce behavioural issues in children & youth.
- Using active transportation such as biking or walking is better for the environment.
- Children & youth can learn about how plants grow and what plants/animals are found in the area they live in.
- Being active outdoors allows us to connect with nature which is shown to increase mental wellness.
- Stress reduction.
Benefits of Physical Activity for the Family
Being physically active with your partner, your children, grandparents, cousins and other relatives is a great idea! All family members can get health benefits by being more active. Plus, the more time you spend with family members, the stronger your family connections will become2. Benefits include:
- Everyone can participate!
- Being active together support healthier relationships & family connectedness.
- Parents/Caregivers become positive role models for children and youth.
Tips for Getting Active
Here are 10 tips for becoming physically active3:
- Get started with some gentle stretching.
- Explore what types of community activities are available.
- Rely on the support of others – ask a friend to participate with you so you can encourage each other.
- Don't be overly ambitious, set realistic goals.
- Each day, pick a time that's convenient for you and commit to participating in some type of physical activity.
- Mark your activity times on a calendar.
- Try shorter, more frequent sessions rather than the occasional prolonged session.
- Make use of everyday movement opportunities such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Prepare yourself for a few lapses but don't give up.
- You cannot just eat your way to good health – exercise must go hand-in-hand with good nutrition.
Support & Funding Providers
Find information on other local organizations that support active living and healthy lifestyles, including service and funding providers.
From our Blog
Let's take action on climate. climate. Globally and locally we need to accelerate the systems-change we need for an equitable future on a finite planet. What is the preferred future they would want to create. We need fresh conversations in every home, every school, every university, every city, every parliament. What is the future we want? How can our operating system get us there?
There has been a growing interest in plant-based beverages for many years. Some people are trying to consume more plant-based foods as recommended by Canada’s Food Guide. Read on to learn more about these drinks.
Children's' food choices are affected by many factors, such as culture, religion, and food availability. Parents and caregivers play a significant role in children's food choices. But another key factor impacting children's food choices is food environments, including marketing of food and beverages. Included are things to be aware of and strategies to limit children's exposure to food marketing.