Nature Play Day - Saturday June 11th
The Helen Schuler Nature Centre is hosting Nature Play Day on Saturday June 11 at Henderson Lake Park from 12pm-4pm. Everyone is welcome to attend this special event to experience play-based activities hosted by over 20 local organizations. Families are encouraged to attend to enjoy free activities and be inspired by the simple joys of playing outside!
The Helen Schuler Nature Centre hosts Nature Play Day in response to the continued decline in time spent outside. The team at the Nature Centre understand that connecting with nature on a regular basis is a fundamental requirement for healthy child development.
Spending time outside is critical to the mental, emotional, physical and social well-being of all people. Positive impacts from daily contact with nature may include: enhanced cognitive abilities, improved academic performance, increased physical activity, improved eyesight, improved social relations, and reduced stress.
Nature Play Day encourages families to get outside and reconnect with their local natural heritage by providing a chance to try dragon boating or kayaking; sit back in a hammock as you cloud watch or enjoy pond dipping; meet a princess, and in between it all, run off some of that energy! This year’s Nature Play Day will also feature Environment Lethbridge’s “Keen for Green” fest near the Kiwanis Picnic Shelter with live music and sustainable displays. The event will serve as a finale to this year’s Environment Week.
• “Exploration Dig” with the Lethbridge Archaeological Society
• “Games & Story Time” with the Oldman Watershed Council
• “Hammock Hangout” with Helen Schuler Nature Centre
• “Imaginative Play with Found Materials” with Building Brains & Healthy Futures
• “Keen for Green Fest” with Environment Lethbridge
• “Make your own Play T-shirt” with Helen Schuler Nature Centre
• “Meet a Princess” with Princess Parties & Events
• “Meet a Therapy Horse” with Lethbridge Therapeutic Riding Association
• “Music & Drums” with StAMP
• “Nature Soup Water Table” with the Boys and Girls Club of Lethbridge
• “Paint a Fish” with Yellow Fish Road
• “Physical Literacy, Giant Checkers, and Games” with Lethbridge Sports Council, Lethbridge Public Library, and Lethbridge Early Years Coalition
• “Red Light, Green Light” with the City of Lethbridge Recreation & Culture Department
• “STIXX!” with Get Serious Fitness
• “Try Disc Golf” with Professional Disc Golf Association
• “Try Dragonboating” with DASA
• “Try Gymnastics” with River City Gymnastics
• “Try Kayaking & Canoeing” with High Level Kayaks and Canoes
• “Try Parkour” with Breathe Parkour
• “Twoonie BBQ” with Kiwanis Club of Green Acres
• And more!
See poster below, and to find out more click: Facebook event page