Activities: 14-18 Year Olds
- Grab a library card for free - and enjoy:
- Work on getting your license by studying the Alberta Government's Drivers Guide and taking these practice tests for the AMA.
- Develop math, science, and life skills (and eat delicious snacks) through free cook-along videos
- Become a Natural Leader with Helen Schuler Nature Centre to connect to the place you live, get to know your neighborhood ecosystem, and take action to make your home more sustainable and self-sufficient!
ENERGY BURNING ACTIVITIES
- *NEW* Lethbridge Sport Council has a list of local sport training available!
- Play from home wth Jumpstart! THis is a national list of GREAT energetic play, endorsed by athletes like Hayley Wickenheiser!
- Workout from home with YMCA at Home - like this full body "Grow" workout
- Learn to play an instrument! Rent guitars, keyboards, band instruments, and more from local provider Long & McQuade
- Go for a walk or bike ride on Lethbridge’s trails (don’t forget to maintain a physical distancing of 2m between each person!)
- Free daily dance parties with Urban Beat! Dance classes and tutorials for all ages, levels and styles. To try more - check out Dancing Alone Together, a platform for the new digital dance world!
- Try this 10 minute yoga sequence with you tube star Yoga With Adrienne. To try more - check out local studio Inspire Hot Yoga
- Challenge each other to a Paper plane Fly-Off! Challenge the family to make the best plane! Try out some of these styles
- Host a Family Cooking "Show" with a host & smartphone camera crew, a cook-off, or simple family cooking night. Here are some family friendly receipes with all-ages instructions!
- The Boys & Girls Club Virtual Youth Centre hosts tons of meet ups:
- Youth Live : A live show on Facebook and Instagram to talk and interact with youth! This will be running every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:00-4:00pm.
- Queer Straight Alliance: A safe space and queer support group for youth ages 11-18. This will be running every Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00-5:00pm.
- Online DND: An online group to play dungeons and dragons. This will be running every Friday from 1:00-5:00pm.
- MITS: A leadership group for youth ages 14-18 to be a leader and make an impact on your community during this time (or just play fund games and hang out) - every Thursday 5:30-6:30
- Find Boys & Girls Club on Facebook BGCL Youth Centre, or Instagram @bgclyouthcentre or Snapchat @thematleth
- Youth One has moved their groups online!
- Youth Huddle: meet up daily at 11am on Youth One's instagram to connect, share announcements, have fun, and bring joy to your day!
- High School Hangout: Hang out every Wednesday from 1-2:30
- Photography/Videography Mentorship: Learn a new skills from home - may you have a smartphone or a fancy new camera, they will help you create amazing photos and videos from home!
- Online Gaming: Warzone Tuesdays and Thursdays 1-3pm
MENTAL HEALTH CARE
- Text, call, or live chat online with a counsellor with Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868
- Boys & Girls Club offers Virtual Hang Outs: Text, call, video chat anytime Monday-Friday 10am-2pm with great youth leaders. Chat about anything!
- Follow this daily calendar from Action for Happiness as a family to help cope with the crisis, in 20 different languages!
- Find mental health information in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, and Spanish here
- Participate in online smudge, story, and drumming ceremonies as a family with Sweetgrass Youth Alliance
DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORTS
- Get free, online tutoring from Raise the Grade at Boys & Girls Club Virtual Youth Centre., Monday-Thursday from 3-5.
- With your library card, sign into SOLARO, which is based on the same curriculum your school uses! There are supports for kids in grades 3-12.
- MyVictory Skills offers free online tutoring. Contact an instructor to get help with academics, skills, or pesonal growth!
- *NEW* Try out some learning ideas from local organization Frontier College
- ESL? Keep Learning English with Pronunciator with your library card
- You can also use your library card to access Gale Courses in things like Business, Computer Sciences, Design, Health Care, and Writing - get a head start on your adult life!
- Your Chrome web browser can help your student with extra learning needs - check out this list of extensions that may help
- The device (tablet, laptop, phone) that your child is using for school may have extra tools to help with reading, writing, and organization. Find options here.
- Get tips on supporting your student with behavioural or learning needs from Child Mind Institute and from Frontier College (*NEW*)
- Get high quality and educational daily schedules from Khan Academy
CHANGE OF SCENERY
- The Palace of Versailles in France
- The T-Rex at the Royal Tyrell Museum
- Iqaluit, in Nunavut - try out a dog sled ride and walk around this remote town.
- The halls of the Canadian Parliament Building
- Baboons, lions, hippos, and more on the live webcams of the San Diego and Smithsonian national zoos!
- Are fish more your fancy? Take a field trip to the Seattle and Monterey Bay Aquarium
Do you have additions of local activities for children, youth, and families? Please email Kristina at [email protected]