Activities: 14-18 Year Olds
*NEW* LOCAL ACTIVITIES & SUPPORT
- YMCA has at-home activities, lessons, and workouts!
- Opokaa'sin Early Intervention Society's Aapatsi'kaktosi North Star Program includes a parent cafe and other parent and child support! Check out their Matsiyikkapisaiki-somm (Frog Moon-April) Calendar for all their activities this month
- BGC has many online programs like Youth Campus - Youth Campus is a daytime program for youth focusing on emotional, social and educational wellbeing. Come join us to meet other youth, work on your education goals and learn new skills and find support during the day!
- Family Centre has a great cooking program - Young Chefs
- Sik-Ooh-Kotoki Friendship Centre SE7EN STARS program for youth is active - check them out!
- Youth One has great in person and online activities!
- *NEW* Read the world with the library!
- *NEW* Try 10 days of happiness with a coach!
- Grab a library card for free - and enjoy:
- Work on getting your license by studying the Alberta Government's Drivers Guide and taking these practice tests for the AMA.
- Develop math, science, and life skills (and eat delicious snacks) through free cook-along videos
ENERGY BURNING ACTIVITIES
- *NEW* Check out Free Spring Break Camp Online - activities available to you at home from Jumpstart!
- Learn to play an instrument! Rent guitars, keyboards, band instruments, and more from local provider Long & McQuade
- Go for a walk on Lethbridge’s trails (don’t forget to maintain a physical distancing of 2m between each person!)
- Try dancing - check out Dancing Alone Together, a platform for the new digital dance world!
- Try this 10 minute yoga sequence with you tube star Yoga With Adrienne.
MENTAL HEALTH CARE
- *NEW* Learn to Bounce Back with CMHA
- Text, call, or live chat online with a counsellor with Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868
- Follow this daily calendar from Action for Happiness as a family to help cope with the crisis, in 20 different languages!
- Find mental health information in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, and Spanish here
- Participate in online smudge, story, and drumming ceremonies as a family with Sweetgrass Youth Alliance
DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORTS
- Get free, online tutoring from Raise the Grade at Boys & Girls Club Virtual Youth Centre., Monday-Thursday from 3-5.
- With your library card, sign into SOLARO, which is based on the same curriculum your school uses! There are supports for kids in grades 3-12.
- MyVictory Skills offers free online tutoring. Contact an instructor to get help with academics, skills, or pesonal growth!
- Try out some learning ideas from local organization Frontier College
- ESL? Keep Learning English with Pronunciator with your library card
- You can also use your library card to access Gale Courses in things like Business, Computer Sciences, Design, Health Care, and Writing - get a head start on your adult life!
- Your Chrome web browser can help your student with extra learning needs - check out this list of extensions that may help
- The device (tablet, laptop, phone) that your child is using for school may have extra tools to help with reading, writing, and organization. Find options here.
- Get tips on supporting your student with behavioural or learning needs from Child Mind Institute and from Frontier College
- Get high quality and educational daily schedules from Khan Academy
CHANGE OF SCENERY
- The Palace of Versailles in France
- The T-Rex at the Royal Tyrell Museum
- Iqaluit, in Nunavut - try out a dog sled ride and walk around this remote town.
- The halls of the Canadian Parliament Building
- Baboons, lions, hippos, and more on the live webcams of the San Diego and Smithsonian national zoos!
- Are fish more your fancy? Take a field trip to the Seattle and Monterey Bay Aquarium
Do you have additions of local activities for children, youth, and families? Please email Kristina at [email protected]
Other Articles of Interest
New to running? Or seasoned pro looking for a best time?