Activities: 11-13 Year Olds
- Grab a library card for free - and enjoy:
- Develop math, science, and life skills through cooking! Try out these free cook-along videos.
- Create an "Invention Bag" for free engineering exploration. It can contain items from around the house as well as hardware items like screws, screwdrivers, cardboard, craft sticks, bottle caps, toy car wheels, spools, twine, etc. Ask kids to pick one of their chores, and create an invention that will make it easier!
ENERGY BURNING ACTIVITIES
- *NEW* Lethbridge Sport Council has an awesome list of sport activities from everything from the NHL to local gymnastics!
- Play from home wth Jumpstart! THis is a national list of GREAT energetic play, endorsed by athletes like Hayley Wickenheiser!
- Workout from home with YMCA at Home - like this full body "Grow" workout
- Go for a walk or bike ride on Lethbridge’s trails (don’t forget to maintain a physical distancing of 2m between each person!)
- Free daily dance parties with Urban Beat! Dance classes and tutorials for all ages, levels and styles. To try more - check out Dancing Alone Together, a platform for the new digital dance world!
- Try this 10 minute yoga sequence with you tube star Yoga With Adrienne. To try more - check out local studio Inspire Hot Yoga
- *NEW* Go on Lethbridge Art Walks or create art to share with weekly themes in your neighbourhoods thanks to Allied Arts Council & YQL Neighbourhoods
- *NEW* Try a family cooking course with Umami and Boys & Girls Club
- The Boys & Girls Club Virtual Youth Centre hosts tons of meet ups:
- *NEW* Book Club - read with pals!
- Youth Live : A live show on Facebook and Instagram to talk and interact with youth! This will be running every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 3:00-4:00pm.
- Queer Straight Alliance: A safe space and queer support group for youth ages 11-18. This will be running every Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00-5:00pm.
- Online DND: An online group to play dungeons and dragons. This will be running every Friday from 1:00-5:00pm.
- Torch Club: A leadership group for youth ages 11-14 to spread positivity and participate in various discussions around leadership. This will be running every Monday from 4:00-5:00pm.
- Find Boys & Girls Club on Facebook BGCL Youth Centre, or Instagram @bgclyouthcentre or Snapchat @thematleth
- Youth One has moved their groups online!
- *NEW* Movie Night
- Youth Huddle: meet up daily at 11am on Youth One's instagram to connect, share announcements, have fun, and bring joy to your day!
- Middle School Hangout: Hang out every Thursday from 3-4
- Photography/Videography Mentorship: Learn a new skills from home - may you have a smartphone or a fancy new camera, they will help you create amazing photos and videos from home!
MENTAL HEALTH CARE
- Text, call, or live chat online with a counsellor with Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868
- Boys & Girls Club offers Virtual Hang Outs: Text, call, video chat anytime Monday-Friday 10am-2pm with great youth leaders. Chat about anything!
- *NEW* Participate in programs with Family Centre
- Follow this daily calendar from Action for Happiness as a family to help cope with the crisis, in 20 different languages!
- Find mental health information in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, and Spanish here
- Participate in online smudge, story, and drumming ceremonies as a family with Sweetgrass Youth Alliance
DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORTS
- Get free, online tutoring from Raise the Grade at Boys & Girls Club Virtual Youth Centre., Monday-Thursday from 3-5.
- With your library card, sign into SOLARO, which is based on the same curriculum your school uses! There are supports for kids in grades 3-12.
- MyVictory Skills offers free online tutoring. Contact an instructor to get help with academics, skills, or pesonal growth!
- *NEW* Try out some learning ideas from local organization Frontier College - things like using this time to explore the house to learn measurement skills!
- ESL? Keep Learning English with Pronunciator
- Your Chrome web browser can help your student with extra learning needs - check out this list of extensions that may help your family
- The device (tablet, laptop, phone) that your child is using for school may have extra tools to help with reading, writing, and organization. Find options here.
- Get tips on supporting your student with behavioural or learning needs from Child Mind Institute
- Get high quality and educational daily schedules from Khan Academy
Do you have additions of local activities for children, youth, and families? Please email Kristina at [email protected]