Activities: 11-13 Year Olds
LOCAL SUPPORTS & ACTIVITIES
- YMCA has at-home activities, lessons, and workouts!
- Opokaa'sin Early Intervention Society's Aapatsi'kaktosi North Star Program includes a parent cafe and other parent and child support!
- Lethbridge Plays! has winter fun kits to borrow!
- Boys & Girls Club has virtual programming, including homework help, jobs program, crafts, lgbtq+ activities, and more! When restrictions are lifted, in-person programs continue.
- Youth One has online programs and support including small groups, "Y1 in a bag", and motivational videos! When restrictions are lifted, in-person programs continue.
- Grab a library card for free - and enjoy:
- Develop math, science, and life skills through cooking! Try out these free cook-along videos.
- Create an "Invention Bag" for free engineering exploration. It can contain items from around the house as well as hardware items like screws, screwdrivers, cardboard, craft sticks, bottle caps, toy car wheels, spools, twine, etc. Ask kids to pick one of their chores, and create an invention that will make it easier!
ENERGY BURNING ACTIVITIES
- Play from home with Jumpstart! THis is a national list of GREAT energetic play, endorsed by athletes like Hayley Wickenheiser!
- Go for a walk on Lethbridge’s trails (don’t forget to maintain a physical distancing of 2m between each person!)
- Try dancing - check out Dancing Alone Together, a platform for the new digital dance world!
- Try this 10 minute yoga sequence with you tube star Yoga With Adrienne.
MENTAL HEALTH CARE
- Text, call, or live chat online with a counsellor with Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868
- Follow this daily calendar from Action for Happiness as a family to help cope with the crisis, in 20 different languages!
- Find mental health information in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, and Spanish here
DISTANCE LEARNING SUPPORTS
- Get free, online tutoring from Raise the Grade at Boys & Girls Club Virtual Youth Centre., Monday-Thursday from 3-5.
- With your library card, sign into SOLARO, which is based on the same curriculum your school uses! There are supports for kids in grades 3-12.
- MyVictory Skills offers free online tutoring. Contact an instructor to get help with academics, skills, or pesonal growth!
- Try out some learning ideas from local organization Frontier College - things like using this time to explore the house to learn measurement skills!
- ESL? Keep Learning English with Pronunciator
- Your Chrome web browser can help your student with extra learning needs - check out this list of extensions that may help your family
- The device (tablet, laptop, phone) that your child is using for school may have extra tools to help with reading, writing, and organization. Find options here.
- Get tips on supporting your student with behavioural or learning needs from Child Mind Institute
- Get high quality and educational daily schedules from Khan Academy
Do you have additions of local activities for children, youth, and families? Please email Kristina at [email protected]